Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Memory; Bonus Cheesecake!


The Oscars were last night, and so I thought I'd share a memory from long ago featuring the World's Best Actress (?).

By best friend Brian and I started a tradition back when we were in high school of going to see a movie on Christmas Day night. After all the presents were opened and I'd made by blended-family peregrinations, we'd head over to Ahwatukee and the AMC 24 cinemas there to see whatever Oscar bait had come out.

One year, the movie we really wanted to see was Jackie Brown, the Quentin Tarantino-directed Pam Grier/Sam Jackson vehicle that is one of the more underrated movies of the late 1990s. But Jackie Brown was sold out. The thing was that for some reason I don't think we had a car that night. So we were stuck 8 miles away from home with no real plan but definitely little desire to head back already. So we bought a ticket to a big-budget movie that was widely regarded to be a Waterworld-level disaster in the making.

One would think that two seventeen-year-old boys would be pretty happy to sit through almost any amount of time for some nekkid Kate Winslet, but Titanic really tried our patience. It was long and boring. I never really know what to make of people that loved this terrible boat-sinking movie. I'm at a loss to really provide one reason why it's actually good in any way. I suppose that the effects are cool, but wouldn't you rather watch Terminator 2: Judgement Day? That movie's awesome.

Anyway, after we left the theatre feeling like we'd killed two and a half hours, we wandered over to the IHOP across Ray Road, and had some pancakes or something, and then trudged back home. It turned out to be a good night, in the way that a long conversation between two good friends can be. Also: good exercise.

Anyway, congratulations, Kate. I'm going to think about this article when I think about your Oscar, but when I think about you, I'll think of the image above.

No comments:

Post a Comment