Sunday, January 18, 2009

(Half) Marathon Man

My dad got tickets to the NFC Championship game (more on that in a moment), so he gave me his spot in the P.F. Chang's Rock n' Roll Half Marathon.

My dad used to race 10Ks and marathons when I was a kid. When I was at the peak of my fitness, I thought about running a 10K, but it never came together. So, without more than running 20 minutes at the gym 3 times a week for the past month or so, I embarked on a 13.1 mile exodus from Downtown Phoenix to Downtown Tempe.

My final time was 2:11:16. I couldn't believe it, but that averaged out to a sub-10 minute mile! It was a lot of fun, and I can't believe that I was running that hard. I'm still pretty sure there was something wrong with the telemetry equipment.

I'm really, really sore right now. But I'm going to find a way to get to the gym tomorrow. I think.

1 comment:

  1. That is exciting! Congrats, Ben. I signed myself up for the Brooklyn Half Marathon in May. I hope I am as optimistic about my ability to hit the gym the day after as you are.

    ReplyDelete